- Go to the IRS Web site’s page on small exempt organizations.
- Click on the underlined word "here" under the “How to File” heading.
- Click on the “Leave IRS Site” box.
- Click on the underlined part of Step 1, “Register as a New User,” if this is your first time filing an e-Postcard for the Group. If you have filed an e-Postcard in the past, skip down to Step 9, because your basic information is on file with the IRS already.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Make sure the top box reads “Exempt Organization.” Enter your Group’s EIN and click the “Next” button.
- Enter a password of your choice, your name, email address, and phone number. Click the “Next” button. The system will assign you a login ID.
- Check your email inbox for a message regarding your e-Postcard filing. When you receive it, open it and click on the link. Enter your password and click the “Next” button.
- Click “Create your Form 990-N (e-Postcard)”
- Fill in your login ID and, if needed, the password you chose earlier.
- Check the information on the screen and then click on the option that applies. For example, if all the info on the Group looks correct, click the “Yes, my information is correct” button.
- Once all the information is correct, you’ll arrive at a page titled “Electronic Notice-- Form 990-N (e-Postcard) Organization Information.” On this page, answer the two questions in section B. The answers to questions A, C, and D are already filled in. Then click the “Next Page” button.
- Enter the Group name, the Listed Leader’s address and the Group Web site (if applicable).
- Under “Principal Officer,” choose “Person” and enter the same address.
- Click on “Submit Filing to IRS” when all the required fields are complete.
- Click “OK” in the box that appears.
Watch your email inbox for confirmation that the IRS has received and accepted your e-Postcard. Print and save the email for your records, or return to the e-Postcard Web site with your login and password to review and print the filing data.
Please contact Lenora Mesibov, Area Finance Coordinator (AFC), if you have any questions about the process.