A few years ago I moved into an existing Group that didn’t have a tradition of encouraging membership. A month or so later, I sold three memberships. I remember asking one of the new members why she had joined. She said, “Before, the Leaders never mentioned membership. They never gave us the opportunity.” Wow, this mother saw joining La Leche League as an opportunity to give back.
A Little Encouragement
Sometimes, though, it seems mothers aren’t interested in membership or are hesitant about joining LLL. In that situation, Leaders find that incentives can help sell memberships.
Here are some ideas:
- offer the gift of LLLI membership. These are valued at $25 each, but a Leader can buy ten for $100 and then include it with Group membership. Mothers who are members of LLLI will get a discount at the online store and a subscription to Breastfeeding Today. If ten is more than your Group is likely to need, try teaming up with another Group to make the purchase.
- offer a free book. Some Groups purchase The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or another new book to gift to members. Others give away old library books or pick up LLL-accepted books at secondhand or used-book stores to give to mothers.
- give your old New Beginnings magazines to members, or purchase 10 for $10 at the LLLI online store.
- buy inexpensive pins to give to members. These cool “Got Breastmilk?” pins (above) are only $6 for 20, for example.
- promote a membership drive with a drawing at the end for a special item (perhaps a sling or wrap, books, or apparel). Each new member gets a chance to win the prize.
- make name tags for members to wear at Series Meetings. Office supply stores carry name tags with “Member” printed on the bottom. Or pre-print a sheet of stick-on labels with the LLL logo and the word “Member.” Members in attendance can write their names on these special name tags. Provide plain ones for everyone else.
- print members’ names on the meeting sign-in sheet so all they have to do is circle their names or check a box to confirm they’re in attendance.
- tell mothers that members are eligible for a registration discount at our upcoming New York Area Conference. The NY Area website now offers an online membership payment option.
Remember, mothers play an important role in the continuing support that La Leche League offers. Give them every opportunity to help.
urban mamas first playdate at sohbet, february 3—Sarah Gilbert
Got Brestmilk pins—La Leche League International
Conference Logo—LLL of New York